The struggle is real: The not-so-fun side of being a PM
The legend says that there are some superhumans out there who manage teams so perfectly that they get things done just on time. No struggle involved.
They deal with deadlines, last-minute change of plans, picky clients, and diverse teams. They are the bridge between the business side and the tech people, making sure everything is going smoothly and nothing is falling through the cracks. Basically, they use up all of their hard and soft skills, along with a pinch (okay, A LOT) of magical powers, to get their products up and running.Here, Product Managers call that “everyday routine”. And it’s not even that big of a deal!
Product Managers play such an essential role in the “birth” of the product or a new feature. Each one of them has his own style of dealing with the team. Yet, this doesn’t mean that their jobs are easy. Not even close, actually.
The daily struggle of a PM:
- Communicate like crazy!
- Keep up with deadlines. (as if that's ever possible)
- Audit ALL channels. Constantly.
- Deal with conflict. You know, the he-told-me-I-told-him dilemma.
- Find middle grounds. Extroverts Vs. Introverts
- Connect everyone with everyone else. Basically.
- Supervise the project at the top-level. Aside from all the bottom-level tsunami of details, of course.
- Dig deeper into all the issues that arise. Because finding the cause of problems is not an actual job in itself.
- And so much more...
Long story short, being a PM is no walk in the park, that’s for sure. It is mainly why we saw it only fitting to indulge even deeper into each struggle, for our next series of blogs. Though, being a PM is also a very fulfilling job. You’re behind the birth of a product! You’ve seen it from ideation to conception to deployment. You’ve witnessed all the hardships behind it and well as all the happy moments that lead to its success. In fact, you’re like its actual parent!
So embrace it!